Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Quick Updates

Some quick updates before I fall asleep--

I'm in Manchester Center, Vermont.

I got new shoes today. Sandals, in fact. Goodbye wet feet. When I stumbled into town today my shoes were being held together with ducktape and fervent wishes. 

I finally got my pie--Strawberry Rhubarb. Sorry Bethany, Key lime was not to be found in these heathen parts. Nick, I almost went apple, but...strawberry rhubarb, come on!

By the way Nick, how did you know that apple is the state pie of Vermont? You know far too much about Vermont if you ask me. 

The crew pooled our resources today and we had a little cookout at the hostel. At a table. With napkins. And utensils other than sporks. All of us were clean and there was much rejoicing across the land.

Four, maybe five days until Mass. Patches and Halfway want to do a "hiker marathon" tomorrow-26 miles in one day. Not sure if I can do it, but I kind of want to see if I can. 

This is for Patches' mother. Patches' mother, I just want you to know that we are all morally sound, ethically legitimate individuals. We are teaching your son only strong, manly skills and absolutely none of us have any bad  habits.

While the LANDSCAPE of Vermont has been lovely, the actual people here are shockingly unfriendly. This has been our first experience with meanness on the trail and it has left us all a little bewildered. Thank you, Maine and New Hampshire, for being so nice to hiker trash.

Early start tomorrow. I'm notoriously bad about making longer posts in the morning but I HAVE to write about our experiences in Rutland-Meanest Little Town on the trail. Also, pictures of pie upcoming.

Happy Trails, and g'night.

--Pawn

3 comments:

  1. I must agree with you regarding the "people" of Vermont. My two visits to the Burlington area were greeted with frowns, grimices and curt responses. I was careful not to speak with my southern accent so I would be regarded as a normal person by their standards. I tried to be understanding after I saw their living conditions. Of course they would be grumpy, surrounded by all those black and white cows everywhere. Thinking of you!--Auntie L from the 49th state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just picked up on your blog so another relative is folowing you on the trail.

    ReplyDelete