Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

Initial Thoughts and Precursors

So here I am in the bus station in Bangor, sitting by a window, watching a heavy rain trickle down the glass. It started about seventeen seconds after I got inside. So far my luck is holding!

Some thoughts on Maine so far. First of all, the temp is a lovely, balmy seventy-ish. Goodbye for now Georgia--you fetid hundred degree armpit of a state, you. The people here are pleasant and straight forward, at least so far. It appears as if the suspender remains the dominant method of combating the effects of gravity upon pants. I love Maine for that, if nothing else. Also there are side walks here, and lots of people using them. (Looking at you, urban planners of Coweta county)

The man at the bus stop looks like somebody who writes poetry about fence posts and ramshackle barns. He pegged me immediatly, asking with a smile if I was walking all the way home or just doing a paaawt of the trail. I said "all the way" and he sold me a bus ticket.

I will be here until six thirty, at which point my bus will arrive and whisk me one step closer to Baxter State Park. Reception will be bad in the Hundred Mile Wilderness so this might be my last post until I get to Monsen approximately ten days from now. (I will try to post from the summit of Kathadin tomorrow if I can get service, but no promises)

Things still seem unreal. Tomorrow the jaunt begins in earnest. Wish me strong ankles and chafe free thighs. :-)

-Pawn

3 comments:

  1. Even if you have no service on the trail Andrew, you need to be journaling so you can post later. We love you and we are praying for you. Praying for you to see and connect with God through the wonderful nature that He created.
    David, April, Nelson & Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  2. praying for you as the journey begins- and also for strong ankles and thighs!!!! this is just so lord of the rings :)-sorry, couldn't resist...the road goes ever ever on ♫

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mi hermano stay strong keep walking and keep looking at what is ahead of you

    ReplyDelete