Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2012

The End (sort of) Minus Pictures

Well.

That was a little bit harder than I thought it was going to be.

But.

We did it!

Yesterday, November 16th, 2012, at 2:45 P.M., I summited Springer Mountain, completing a four and a half month "thru - hike" of the Appalachian Trail. Rachael, my Dad, and my brother were all there to see it happen. There was champagne. There was a victory cigar (one of two cigars that Patches' father mailed me. John, I've been carrying that thing around in my bag for a thousand miles, saving it for Springer.) There was much hugging and taking of pictures.

I'm just too overwhelmed to write in any kind of detail about anything right now. Last night I was whisked off the mountain and driven straight to Chattanooga, where I saw many family members I haven't seen in months (years?) and was the topic of much excitement and amusement. I tried on clothes for the memorial service today. (size thirty in the waist? Thank you sir, I'll have another) I ate obscene quantities of food and then had to go somewhere dark and quiet to digest so I wouldn't vomit all over the kitchen.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...this hasn't really sunk in yet.

So.

Pictures, lots and lots of pictures, coming soon. Pictures from the summit and pictures from Hurricane Sandy and every picture from my phone that I never posted (there's lots!)  Maybe tomorrow? Family stuff will take precedence today. So pictures tomorrow, as well as a full write up of the last several days. A few days after that I'm planning a "what has it all meant" kind of post to wrap things up. Things have and will change in my life since I started this hike, and those things have to be considered and talked about.

One indication that I am at least temporarily "out of order"...I've been sitting here in the hotel lobby since four forty five this morning, waiting on either continental breakfast or the gym to open. I was hoping to sleep until eight at least this morning, but it seems I have to either eat or move. Also, I was too hot (!) last night.

So stick around folks, and keep reading, if you will. The Walk is over (for now) but the Jaunt continues for the next few weeks at least.

And once again, thank you all for your support through the dark times. More coming soon, until then,

Happy Trails

PAWN


2 comments:

  1. Thankful you made it. Way to go

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations Andrew what an accomplishment! Looking forward to seeing pictures.

    ReplyDelete