Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Notes From Pearisburg: Travels Through Virginia

They say, and by "they" I suppose I mean the Virginia Board of Tourism, that Virginia is for Lovers. I can get behind that, because one of the words I would use to describe Virginia so far is COLD, and it would be nice to have Rachael around right now, if only for the BTUs. (Rachael, you are more to me than a walking generator of warmth, but since you have often used me for just that purpose, I consider fair to be fair.)

Anyway. Virginia. The first half of this gigantic state is comprised of Shenandoah National Park. The park is famous for it's huge bear population, and sure enough I saw my first wild bears about halfway through the park. They were two cubs, bouncing through the forest and having a grand old time. I watched them for a bit before moving on in case mama was near.
Fun fact: all the signs in the park recomend that if you are attacked by a bear, you should fight back and try to kill it or drive it away. Suddenly all the ultra light guys who carry a razor blade stopped laughing at the hard core tactical knife that my brother gave me for this trip. Also, the knife is excellent for when I am attacked by a bagel or some summer sausage. Thanks again, mi hermano.

The trail in Virginia is beautiful! Long slow climbs up to four thousand feet, beautiful vistas over rolling mountains dappled by splashes of red and orange, and breezy ridge walks that stretch on for miles. Come three or four o'clock the light comes in through the trees just right and
..well, words fail.

The mid atlantic was fun, but it is so great to be back in real mountains again!

A few quick stories. Two guys names John and Paul (not the Beetles...although...no, couldn't have been...right?) gave me some awesome trail magic: a whole hunk of cheese, a giant bag of peanut butter m&ms, and a mini bar sized bottle of whiskey. And they say sobos get no trail magic!

Just south of the Shennies I met a dog who apparently hikes one six mile section of trail over and over again with different hikers. He followed a north bound day hiker up from the road, camped with us, and then hiked back down to the road with me the next day. He had a grand time and knew excactly where the trail was, even when we came to intersections. At the road a truck pulled up, the dog jumped in, and the driver gave a wave.

Every section of trail should have it's own dog.

Have I mentioned the cold? There have been many days in Virginia with thirty five degree temps and rain. Tricky stuff, with a high risk of hypothermia, so we have been using caution.

This morning I hiked in full on cold weather gear, a first for this trip
Normally I only have to sleep in it. On the plus side, the cold clear air made for an amazing star gazing opp last night.

A week or two more in VA, and then we cross in to Tennessee. In a few days we will be under five hundred to go. Hard to believe in some ways, but in other ways I fully believe I have walked nearly fifteen hundred miles. They wear on me, the miles that is, and not a day goes by that I don't feel their weight on my body.

Reminds me of one of my favorite lines from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Miriam: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.

Indiana Jones: It ain't the years honey. It's the milage.

Highlights to come include the Grayson Highlands, home of wild ponies, and the Great Smokey Mountains. The end of my journey draws ever closer. I've just got to keep warm and keep my feet from falling off. Wish me luck.

Till next time, and as always,

Happy Trails,
PAWN

2 comments: